Sunday, August 1, 2010

Man who made my Diwali

Story of my Transformation!! 2 years back, it was very tough for me living in Hyderabad. It was the eve of Diwali, and with mixed feelings of having been homesick, alone and a part of a hectic work schedule i was finally on my way to go to Bangalore to spend my time with Family and Close friends. I had indeed become very sick and was cursing myself to have left my family for a Job not all that great, but hectic and tiring! I missed Bangalore and my previous company! Worst of all was that I had to beg for my leaves for Diwali which had never happend to me before!

     With a lot of thoughts and questions of Ifs - like If I had not taken this job, if I had not left bangalore etc., running in my head I reached the platform to board the train. I had plans of going home and never coming back. With the usual rush, I was waiting for my space in the stampede and get in I looked around, I saw the sweetest looking old man standing with a Cane and a plastic bag. He walked very slowly towards the door and was trying to ask the "rush hour People" with the faintest voice where S4 compartment is. I am usually not always very helpful, not in the Railways with all meany money people around, yet for my surprise I reached out to help him and tried to find out his ticket details to guide him. He looked so confused and very worried. I tried to find out more information by asing if he had a reservation or if he rememberered when he was supposed to travel, but he seemed to become more confused with each question. he just kept saying "she said I have to go to Bangalore".

   After much time, i was able to atleast find out that this old man was dropped off at the Kacheguda station by his sister-in-law and was told to go to bangalore wherehe had a family. she had given him some cash and told him to just go inside and buy a ticket. He had no ticket, no reservation! and because getting ticket reservation is nearly impossible I asked him if he could come back tomorrow, he said that she was gone and that he had no place to stay. he then said he would wait at the Station till tomorrow. Naturally, I felt a little ashamed and guilty of not being able to help him.

   Here I was feeling very sorry for myself about being alone, homesick etc., when this great old man was sent to me to remind me of what being alone really meant! It broke my heart to pieces!

Immediately, I told him that we will get a ticket for him somehow after talking with the TC onboard and make sure he gets home. For my luck we could get him a Senior Citizens' ticket a lower berth and also the cost of that ticket fare was less, he got enough money to travel. As I was feeling proud about this whole act, about this time he started to look very tired, and when I stepped down from my upper berth to ask him if he was all right, I saw that his leg was wrapped in a bandage. He had been standing on it the whole time holding a plastic bag full of clothes. Recommended him to get some rest and he laid down carefully placing his plastic bag with his shaking hands.

     We all slept. I hit my upper berth and crashed to sleep with my ipod on. And in the morning I recalled what all had happend and I realised with all the mess I had forgotten to have my dinner and also realised that even the old man had not eaten anything. I came down and he was already awake but yet tired, more tired than what he was last night. I guessed he didn't catch enough sleep, hurriedly got him breakfast.  I tried to check if the bandage was alright and I noticed a small amount of blood on his bandage.  I asked how he hurt his leg, he said that he had just had a bypass surgery and an artery was taken from his leg. Can YOU IMAGINE??? This man had had a heart surgery and then shortly afterward he was dropped off at the Kacheguda Station to buy a ticket with no reservation to go to Bangalore, ALONE!!

      I never really had seen of a situation like this, and I wasn't sure what I could do. Upon reaching bangalore, I learnt that he stays close to where I did and I got him to get down at theYeswanthpur station. I went through the address slip which he had in his hand and he said that where his daughter stayed. The writing had a phone number however it was all jumbled and wet in rain and we couldnt make out what it was. But I knew exactly where this place was. I got him an auto and told the auto driver to drop him off safe,  explained him of the situation and the auto driver seemed helpful too. He seemed to recognize all the landmarks I said and picturize the actual place. Thank God the address mentioned in the note was in proper shape!
I bent down inside the auto and his wrinkled eyes looked deep inside mine as I gave the prepaid auto driver money. Then I patted the old man on the arm and told him everything would be just fine and asked him to call me when he will reach and wanted to say Goodbye,he said "Thank you" bent his head and started to cry! I cried too. It was a moment, I stood still! It was tough! Quietly tears just rolled down, auto left! tears went on!

8 comments:

  1. Hey Dear..

    I know you..this is not the first time you helped someone..you remember one day we went to shop at the super market and you saw an old man begging..you gave him 10/- and he told us his short story..his kids have left him and with this 10/- he needs to cook his meal....really wish we could all do something like what u do and I am sure there would be no tear in any one's eyes....you are awesome..n love you for that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cant thank u enuf for d encouragement.. :) love u for this ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know :) I gave him 20 bucks actually :D .. I guess the sympathy generator in my head got maximised after gettin hit on d head..hehe... I didnt know what all he said that day in Telugu, I couldnt make his words, but his eyes which were soo gloooomy before, suddenly got so bright upon realizing he can cook food that night and eat and also feed his wife!! He came alive all of a sudden with that smile in his toothless mouth, he got a sudden gush of hope and energy!! I think these are precious moments of happiness and I am happy to have got him that moment... that was my moment of happiness too as much as it was his. Wish I had more so that I could give more.. but hon, d encouragement from like this you means a lot.. you get the best out of me :) and love u for tht... someday we will spread more happiness.. :) give more to get more... :) with you i know we will

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting helped is something we can expect. Helping others as above story is something instant driven & such situations ignites our hearts & make us do things as per our ability. Feel proud Maddy as you made an Old man with an injured leg & no ticket, safely reach Bangalore from HYD. Hardly 1 among a million would be able to do this & I am proud my friend has done this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks KK :) it has always been a good feeling to make someone smile or light up somebody's day. with all friends like you, we can together spread joy and happiness in this world and contribute and justifu to us being human...thank you once again :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Touching & Inspiring incident Maddy...no wonder incidents like this change our attitude towards others and self...Most of us want to help others, but doing it only a few will do...God bless All..

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes I agree... It was truly transformation for me! A lesson life taught me! as you rightly said, god bless all :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you.