Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Resignation Letter

In my 8 plus years of career, I have seen many resignation letters. Many colleagues have come and many more have gone. What has always been interesting to me is the way they exit. Most curious part is their resignation letter. I love reading those letters. Please take me in a good sense here, I relate some of those letters to how I would be writing when I would resign from my job.

       I dont know why, but in a very curiosity way, resignation letters have fascinated me. Some highlight their pain, some feel very sad about leaving and they express it in writing. Few are so excited about it that they even make way for others to follow them by offering a referal in their new organization. Many a times I come across some emotional jibberish people write. For example " I loved every bit of the time I spent with my team, every one helped me so much, I miss you I miss this, I miss that etc.,etc.," I have not seen many say "I learnt from experience or how they loved supporting their customers or enjoyed working etc.," Some even take revenge on their boss by writing sarcastic lines "My boss was the best that ever happend to me in the team" keeping in mind its his/her resignation letter. If his boss was all that good, he probably would not have quit the company.

     Of all these letters, one day I came across a special one. It was from an employee who had worked for 31 years. This person has worked in one single company for 31 years. What would one write of that experience? "I am retirning" or "Vacation" or settle in a oldhome etc., But this one read something like this "After 31 years with xyz (company name changed), I have decided to resign to pursue a new opportunity.  My last day of employment with xyz is Friday, September 28th.

It went on to read "From the day I started in August of 1981, I have been rewarded with incredible work assignments, exposure to some of the company’s greatest leaders and associates, as well as numerous personal friendships.  The most gratifying aspect of my career has been the opportunity to work with all of you. When all is said and done, it is YOU that have supported, educated and mentored me through my journeys.  I am so grateful for my career here."

I have not found this type of a letter. Someone looking for a new opportunity even after 31 years of working, doing the same job and yet this person has energy and the will, wit, courage to work some more! This is rare, this is special. 

I have now thought how my resignation letter would be. But more than that, the learning from the resignation letter of this colleague of mine is that we never should cease to work. There is nothing whats called retirement. Work till your breath lasts. We should work our time to see our end. Thats the royal way, thats the only way....Even if its working in your own garden, we should never stop, never think we've done it all, seen it all. (and I am not saying we should work for 1 company or work under someone forever, no i am not saying that)

And when I caught up with her I joked "Are you going fishing or on world tour?" and she replied " I am going to fish for some more work so that I could tour knowledge some more"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you.